Friday, January 23, 2009

"I'm too evolved for that!"

Have you ever had one of those moments when you felt your child just didn't get you! When I dreamt of being a mother it included playing with toys again! :-) I even saved some of my childhood toys for the occasion. I didn't mind too much that my infant didn't play with toys, he mostly looked at books, played with my calculator or banged on my keyboard. I kept thinking that as he got a little older he would really enjoy puzzles, board games and other fun kid stuff. Okay, so now he's five and everyday I beg him to play games with me and he just thinks I am nuts!

Most of the time I just get a look but sometimes he tells me he doesn't have time. If I do persuade him and it's not a nonsense game he makes up with his rules the game doesn't last very long. It makes giving him holiday and birthday gifts very hard since he has very expensive tastes as well. Scientific calculators, wii, the latest mac laptop, iPod, a baby grand piano! Is he really five? If this is his wish list now what will it be in another five years? I suppose I wouldn't be as bothered about all this if he entertained himself better but somehow he always wants me involved in his projects but it's more just my presence that he wants than my help and I never understand what is going on and it's never a contribution just my presence. How do you play with your gifted child?


No comments:

Post a Comment