Friday, January 23, 2009

"What it is, is a cacophonous assault of eucalyptus, bayberry, cinnamon, and vanilla."

Anyone else have issues with your child eating!! Ever since we started on this whole solid food thing, my child has been a pest. I introduced solids to my son at six months and he looked at me then like I was a nut. So we tried again a month later to the same issues and so on until at last at approximately 9 months of age he finally gave in and tried my "super" cereal I had painstakingly had made for him. It all went downhill from there!

Like every good mother, I tried to introduce him to fruits, veges and various proteins. But my child would have nothing to do with the proteins. As I would place mashed chicken on his high chair he would either fling it across the room or just scream bloody murder. Every day it would sit there and every day he would fling it. He would happily eat his fruits and veges but meat never made its way down his digestive system.

Fast-forward several years and we are now dealing with a self-proclaimed Kindergartner that likes to tell the whole world how meat is evil. When he was about three we had a melt down one day about the eggs in the refrigerator. I walked into the kitchen to find my child crumpled on the floor crying. When I asked what was the matter, I finally found out that he was worried about the eggs in the fridge - weren't they cold and lonely sitting in there all by themselves. After a long discussion about what was really inside that egg, the only compromise we could agree upon was covering the eggs with a blanket and checking on them periodically during the day to say hello.

Thankfully, we have passed this phase and today he will eat the occasional egg but we still do not eat meat because he knows too much about where the animal has come from and went through to get to his plate, but how could he have possibly known this at 10 months of age? That is my question of the day?? Today, it appears he just doesn't want to be bothered with food at all, it's a necessity he realizes but trying new things takes time and energy that can be much better used on his important tasks of life! So I guess I will just continue to follow my child around the house with the PB&J sandwich begging him to take a bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment